I made these Mason Jar Fairy Lights for my sister-in-law for her birthday a few years ago. I think they are perfect for placing around your home, hanging from your trees or porch or placed around on your outdoor table.
Here’s what you need:
1. Spanish Moss (Vase Filler)
2. Mason Jars with Lids (whichever size you’d like)
3. Sturdy Wire
4. Battery Powered LED Cool Light Christmas Lights (the mini ones)
5. Needle Nose Pliers
6. Wire Cutters
Here’s what you do:
1. Start by putting the tail end of the lights in the bottom of the jar (not the battery box end).
2. Add some Spanish Moss.
3. Put more lights in.
4. Add more Spanish Moss.
5. Keep repeating until you’ve stuffed all the lights in the jar with moss surrounding the lights.
**You want the battery pack at the top so you can easily access the on/off button and change out the batteries.**
6. Take the wire and begin wrapping it around the neck of the mason jar, below the lid. Wrap it around a few times and then create a loop in the wire and twist the loop a few times to secure the open loop and then continue to wrap the wire around the jar a few more times. Then create another loop on the opposite side just as you did before and then wrap the wire around the jar and cut the wire and tuck the cut piece in somewhere.
7. Now attach the wire to one of the loops (you are creating a handle) giving you enough of a tail to wrap around to secure it to the other loop. Create enough of a “handle” and attach the wire on the other loop.
And you are finished! 🙂