One of my favorite memories growing up was my mom cooking breakfast for us on the weekends. We would all eat our pancakes and sausage (That was the only thing my sister and I would ever request!) in our pajamas and ease into Saturday morning as a family. Now that I have my own family, our weekdays are busy and usually consist of hurriedly eaten Cheerios as we’re hurrying out to dance class or school. I have recently picked up the family tradition of making the family a home-cooked breakfast at least one day on the weekend so we can have some quality time at the table together. I’ve put my own stamp on breakfast though with a departure from pancakes and sausage with recipes like these Easy Chorizo Breakfast Tacos.
1/2 tube of beef or pork chorizo case removed
1/2 package of Ore Ida (or store brand) breakfast potatoes with peppers and onions
1/2 block of grated fresh Manchega cheese
tortillas (corn or flour)
3. When the chorizo is browned, drain grease and empty in a small bowl.
7. Warm tortillas in microwave or on stove as desired.
9. Beginning with the edge of the tortilla nearest the taco mixture, roll taco until completely folded (about two times). Top with salsa and sour cream as desired and enjoy!
- 1/2 tube of beef or pork chorizo case removed
- 1/2 package of Ore Ida (or store brand) breakfast potatoes with peppers and onions
- 1/2 block of grated fresh Manchega cheese
- 2 eggs
- tortillas (corn or flour)
- In a medium skillet begin browning the chorizo.
- As chorizo is browning grate the manchega.
- When the chorizo is browned, drain grease and empty in a small bowl.
- Then add potato mixture to same skillet you cooked chorizo in. Cover and cook on medium heat according to package instructions.
- When potatoes are almost done (about 3-5 minutes), scramble two eggs in bowl and then cook in small skillet until just a little damp.
- Transfer scrambled eggs and chorizo to skillet with potatoes to finish cooking. They’re done when potatoes are tender.
- Warm tortillas in microwave or on stove as desired.
- Put two spoonfuls of the taco mixture on the outer third of the tortilla leaving about half an inch to the edge. Sprinkle with desired amount of cheese over taco mixture.
- Beginning with the edge of the tortilla nearest the taco mixture, roll taco until completely folded (about two times). Top with salsa and sour cream as desired and enjoy!
These tacos have become a weekend favorite of ours. We love the Tex Mex kick of these and the blend of the chorizo with the manchega and potatoes. They’re also really easy to make and done in about fifteen minutes and leave plenty of time for sitting around the table in jammies having our own lazy Saturday mornings just like when I was a kid.
Chorizo and manchega are a match made in heaven and you can check out these quesadillas I made for Cinco De Mayo. See you next month!
What’s your favorite breakfast food?