Last week when I took my final exam for my cooking school class we had to cook two side dishes, a sauce, and an entree from memory. Well, two kids seems to have sapped my brain cells and my memory is not what it used to be so I made sure that the recipes that I did were simple but delicious.
My husband is from Ireland and so naturally we love potatoes. One of the sides that I made was oven roasted rosemary potatoes. They were crispy and tender and so simple. I made a variation again and spruced them up just a bit. Everything is better with bacon, right?
Bacon & Parmesan Oven Potatoes
2 pounds new red potatoes quartered or cut into 1/8ths depending on size of potatoes
1 cup chopped red onion
4 cloves chopped garlic
6 ounces bacon chopped (can use pancetta instead)
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Coat a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
3. Add potatoes, onions, and garlic to casserole dish.
4. Sprinkle with thyme leaves and salt and pepper.
5. Cover dish with foil.
6. Bake for about an hour or until fork tender. Gently stir once halfway through cooking to turn potatoes.
7. While potatoes are baking, cook the bacon or pancetta and drain off the fat.
8. When potatoes are done baking sprinkle bacon and parmesan over potatoes. Cover again and let stand 5 minutes for cheese to melt.
The bacon and cheese add extra flavor to the already yummy potatoes. The recipe is also super simple to make. You get it going in less than 10 minutes and let it do it’s thing for an hour until it’s time to cook the bacon. Easy peasy for a delicious side that goes with most anything and the whole family will love.
I’ll see you again next month with another easy recipe from Penney Lane Kitchen. In the meantime, I hope you’ll stop by the blog or give me a follow on social media. I’m sharing new recipes each week in both place. Happy cooking y’all!